Thursday, November 21, 2013

DO PUBLISHERS STEAL?

            Do publishers rip off writers? Sometimes. But fortunately, rarely.

            Okay, Steven King, John Grisham, etc. I’m not. But I have written four successful books (Two for young readers, three mainstream nonfiction-travel, nature, history). I have been a contributing writer on two encyclopedias and two travel guides. I have had 173 newspaper and 142 magazine articles appear in major publications. I have written for both radio and television, even got nominated for an EMMY as a writer.

            So yeah, I’ve been around the block a few times. And yeah, there are some publishers and editors who, having little imagination of their own, are not above cherry-picking yours. Usually it’s just petty larceny. Herewith a few war stories.

            Some years ago Wife and I moved to a mid-sized city where she worked as an economist…doing whatever it is economists do. Before moving I had been writing for a television magazine show on a Southern California station. Nothing glamorous, when my name rolled by on the credits the audience was already out of their easy chairs on the way to the bathroom.

But it was fun. So, soon after our arrival I made an appointment with the station manager at a local network affiliate. Showed him tapes, letters of recommendation, etc. “Hum,” he said, furrowing his brow. “What kind of stories would you do here?”

The city was in the middle of a rural area. Lots of old barns. You can find all kinds of neat things in old barns. Once I found an old-time car reborn as a chicken coop. “Well, for example,” I said, “who knows what forgotten treasures one might find in old barns?” The station manager nodded his head and promised to call me in a few days.

He didn’t of course. But a week later on the local news I saw a reporter standing in front of an old barn. “Who knows what forgotten treasures, etc.” he intoned, looking earnestly at the camera. Like I said, petty larceny.

Sometimes publishers are guiltier of sins of omission rather than commission. Like neglecting to mention that their publication is about to go belly up. One magazine sent me on assignment to the Caribbean to do a business piece on new hotels. While I was there the magazine went D.O.A. (Fortunately I already had my airline ticket home which is why I’m not writing this sitting on a beach chewing on sugar cane.)

Years later I was writing short fiction for a London magazine. Four hundred pounds pay per story. Not great but the stories were easy to write. One day I received an issue with the last story I’d done. But no pay. It was their last issue; the magazine had croaked. So I can officially say I have been stiffed on both sides of the Atlantic.

One last war story and pay attention, this one’s important. In publishing it can be  a short jump between petty larceny and grand theft auto. Case in point: some time ago I wrote a combination history/travel book for the California tourist market. It did very well. Reviewers liked it, readers liked it and it went through several printings. The publisher was helpful, patient and scrupulously honest. When he retired and sold his business his writers (including me) missed him.

Unfortunately for those same writers the aspiring publisher who bought the firm went bankrupt. But not immediately. For a while he continued printing and selling our books. But only by threatening legal action was I able to get even part of the royalties due me. Eventually he sort of disappeared and I have no idea how many royalties I lost. I probably could have put our daughter through college with them.

So have I scared any aspiring writers who read this off? Well, in a sense, if I did, good. There are already too many writers in a diminishing market and I don’t need any more competition. I can name four major magazines I wrote for that have gone to the Great Paper Shredder in the Sky.

On the other hand, I began this blog by noting that writers being ripped off is rare. It simply doesn’t pay for a publisher to be dishonest. To survive he needs content and a bad reputation will ultimately cost him that content. I have dealt with literally dozens of editors and publishers over the years and only in the cited examples did I have problems.

So go for it. Just be careful. And don’t be too good. Like I said, I don’t need the competition.

Dad out.              

  

       

                

                       


No comments:

Post a Comment